Coronavirus News LIVE Updates: India’s COVID-19 caseload mounted to74,94,551 with 61,871 new infections being reported in a day, while the recoveries surged to 65,97,209 pushing the recovery rate to 88.03 percent, according to the Health Ministry data updated on Sunday. The coronavirus death toll climbed to 1,14,031 with the virus claiming 1,033lives in a span of 24 hours, the data updated at 8 am showed. The number of active cases of coronavirus infection remained below 8 lakh for the second consecutive day. There are 7,83,311 active cases of coronavirus infection in the country, comprising 10.45 percent of the total caseload, the data stated. The COVID-19 case fatality rate stands at 1.52 percent.
The 1,033 new fatalities include 463 from Maharashtra, 95 from Uttarakhand, 71 from Karnataka,61 from West Bengal, 57 from Tamil Nadu, 40 from Uttar Pradesh and 35 from Delhi. Total 1,14,031 deaths reported so far in the country include 41,965 from Maharashtra followed by 10,586 from Tamil Nadu, 10,427 from Karnataka, 6,629 from Uttar Pradesh, 6,406 from Andhra Pradesh, 5,992 from West Bengal, 5,981 from Delhi, 3,999 from Punjab and 3,626 from Gujarat.
India’s COVID-19 tally had crossed the 20-lakh mark on August 7, 30 lakh cases on August 23 and 40 lakh on September 5. It went past 50 lakh cases on September 16,60 lakh on September 28 and crossed 70 lakh on October 11. According to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), a cumulative total of 9,42,24,190 samples have been tested up to October 17 with 9,70,173 samples being tested on Saturday.
Stay tuned for all the latest updates and developments related to the novel coronavirus pandemic today:
Living coronavirus found on frozen food packaging in China
China’s health authority has confirmed the detection and isolation of living novel coronavirus on the outer packaging of imported frozen marine fish in the port city of Qingdao. It is for the first time in the world that living novel coronavirus has been isolated from the outer packaging of cold-chain food, the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said in a statement on Saturday. The authorities in Qingdao, where a new cluster of COVID-19 cases were reported recently, conducted tests on all of its about 11 million population. No new clusters of cases were found after the tests, the local authorities said.
Arunachal Pradesh reports 179 new COVID-19 cases; tally rises
At least 179 people, including three security personnel, have tested positive for COVID-19 in Arunachal Pradesh, pushing the coronavirus caseload to 13,348, a senior health official said here on Sunday.
- India stood second behind the US in terms of active cases of COVID-19 aswell as total caseload, according to Worldometer, a website that publishes coronavirus statistics from across the globe. India is in the number one position in terms of the number of recovered cases while it is in the third spot in terms of fatalities globally after the US and Brazil.
- India’s COVID-19 caseload neared the 75 lakh mark, while the number of recoveries reached closer to the 66 lakh on Sunday. Among states, Maharashtra cases neared the 16 lakh mark, while Andhra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala remain other worst-hit states.
Here are the major highlights from Sunday’s COVID-19 India data:
—Active cases around 7.8 lakh; at the lowest level since August 31.
—Active cases fall for 15th consecutive day; decline by 11,776 in 24 hours.
—Active cases fall by over 1.6 lakh in the last two weeks.
—Total cases rise by 61,871; the lowest single-day rise in the last five days.
#COVID_19 India Updates | Active cases fall for 15th straight day. In 24 hours, it fell by 11,776 & in 2 wks, by over 1.6 lakh. Total cases see lowest one-day rise in five days while deaths see biggest increase in two weeks. Tests on a single-day below 10 lakh. Recovery rate >88% pic.twitter.com/zCmR8S5VWs
— CNBC-TV18 (@CNBCTV18Live) October 18, 2020
—Recoveries increase by 72,614 & deaths by 1,033.
—Deaths increase by more than 1,000 for the 1st time since October 3.
—Total cases at 74.94 lakh, active 7.83 lakh, recoveries 65.97 lakh and deaths 1.14 lakh.
—Total tests on a single-day at 9.70 lakh vs yesterday’s 10 lakh.
—Recovery rate above 88 percent; it’s at 88.03 percent vs yesterday’s 87.78 percent.
—The mortality rate remains at 1.52 percent for the last four days.
- Metro train services will be only half of the pre-COVID levels and will operate at a third of the passenger capacity once the services restart next week, a top official said on Saturday. Time duration of the operations for the single 11-km line between Ghatkopar to Versova has also been curtailed to 12 hours starting from 0830 hrs daily, Mumbai Metro One’s chief executive Abhau Kumar Mishra told reporters while showing the revamped set up. He said the cut in services, passengers and operational timing is to ensure the passenger safety through proper social distancing which needs to be followed. Only 200 services of trains will run with services in either direction in up to 8 minutes as against 5 minutes and 400 services earlier. As against 1,350 people per service earlier, now the train will carry only 360 people. It can be noted that earlier this week, the Maharashtra government had allowed Metro services in the financial capital to resume from October 15, but the company decided to start it from Monday after finishing all the safety runs.
- Maharashtra reports 10,259 new coronavirus cases, 250 deaths: The state’s COVID-19 tally on Saturday increased to 15,86,321 with 10,259 new cases, said a health official. The state also reported 250 deaths, taking its death toll to 41,965, he said. A total of 14,238 patients were discharged after
treatment, taking the tally of recovered people to 13,58,606. There are 1,85,270 active patients in the state now.
- Mumbai city reported 1,791 new cases during the day, which pushed its overall case count to 2,40,335, while its death toll rose to 9,739 with 47 new fatalities. The Mumbai division, which consists of Mumbai city and satellite towns, reported 3,410 new cases, raising its total case count to 5,50,249. A total of 17,234 people have died so far in the region, the official said.
- Pune city added 417 COVID-19 cases, raising its case tally to 1,67,823, while 22 deaths took the toll to 3,888. The number of cases in the Pune division stood at 4,08,351 and death toll at 9,176, the official said.
- Kolhapur division has reported 1,04,924 cases and 3,473 deaths till now, while Aurangabad division’s case tally stood at 58,623 and death count at 1,494.
- Latur division has reported 65,218 cases until now and 1,876 fatalities.
- Akola division has recorded 49,105 cases while 1,162 people have succumbed to the infection until now.
- Nagpur division has recorded 1,34,967 infections and 3,293 fatalities so far, the official informed.
—With inputs from agencies